Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Wheels a Spinnin'

I spend a lot of time spinning my wheels. It's winter here in Minnesota, but that's not the point.

There are a lot of moments where I'm just waiting for things to happen. Running tests, compiling code, syncing to the phone. So I get a lot of little moments to think, read, or otherwise occupy my time.

I suppose, given that I am at work, that I should be doing something useful. It is Company Time after all. But I think this is a valuable use of time, personally.

I'm thinking that these early posts are generally going to consist of me babbling on about the act of babbling. Not all that terribly interesting, really. Its exercise, pure and simple. There's a little portion of the brain that needs to be stretched and worked out, in order to begin to write about anything of meaning. That's what the books say, anyway.

I'd say that my writing knowledge has only come out of a few chapters of one book on writing (aptly called "On Writing"). I've been learning a little about pacing and theme and that sort of thing. I never really took any courses in writing. An attempt at a distance learning course, but that didn't really work out. I'd still like to write. I just need a few tools to force me to write on a daily basis. Again, it's a matter of exercise.

Since I'm working part time, due to grad school, I've had a few extra days a week to work on school related activities. However, I found that I wasn't really spending my time thinking about my subject of choice. I was reading, writing, thinking,etc. But not about Computer Science. So I dropped my class and I'm pretty much thinking I'm out of the program. Funny thing is, I've done more thinking about Comp Sci then I ever did while in class this semester. Go Figure.

No comments: