Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Practice Makes Perfect

I've found that the best time to write is in the morning (not surprisingly, the book I've read on the subject seemed to say the same thing). Moreover, I've found a place for it.

I can't write at home. Maybe it's because I live in a one-bedroom apartment. Given my part-time schedule, it's beginning to seem like a small one-bedroom. What it really doesn't allow me is a place to work without all of the distractions of home. My office is in the dining area. My dining room table is in a corner of the living room. My living room has the TV. You get the idea.

On my days off, I go to this coffee shop down the street. Wi-fi and coffee, the two things I need. I also find the noise to be useful. It's sort of a curtain from the quiet. The quiet is my distraction. I have a really difficult time concentrating when my brain is allowed to go where ever it likes.

This all comes back to time and place. I've decided to try and go the coffee shop every morning. Big sacrifice, eh? This requires an earlier morning, but I'm hoping that the daily practice will improve my writing. It's the one thing that I think the books on writing have right: daily practice will improve one's writing.

No comments: