Tuesday, March 08, 2005

A New Kind of Drug

For some people, myself included, blogging is the new drug. There's something addictive to writing on a regular basis to an unseen (and perhaps non-existent) audience. Maybe it's more like street preachers, minus the street...and maybe the preaching.

Well, wait, let's think about that for a minute. There are two types of blogging. One is journalistic. Each post is a story, written (at least in the case of good blogs) in the form of a news piece. The author has the same sense of duty of the street preacher: the need to get the message out. The other is egoistic. The message is internal to oneself. The author is talking of ideas, feelings, or events that occur in his or her own life.

Which gets back to it being drug. It similar to talking to hearing one's self speak. Those guilty of this aren't saying things for the benefit of educating others. They do it because the get off on hearing how "smart" they sound. It's a fix, pure and simple.

Before I started this post, I was jonesing. Now I just sit back and ride the high.

Imagine the shakes, if I lost my access...

No comments: