Thursday, March 31, 2005

Fruits of Habitual Rapt Attention

Most of my ideas for things come right before I go to sleep. When I turn out the light, it's as if that change in lighting triggers some synaptic firestorm; my brain's attempt to ward off the impending darkness. I let it do it's thing, and then promptly role over and go to sleep.

Since I've been thinking about writing lately, in particularly the self-publishing space of blogs, my latest late-night thought regarded this subject.

Which I promptly forgot.

Fortunately, my morning ritual of reading the paper help me remember. I'm a print-news junkie. I need my fix. Sure, there's news sites on the Internet, but I like feel and smell of the newspaper itself. Not that the news tripped my memory back onto S. Idea Way. The only section of the paper that I read with habitual rapt attention is the comics page.

So here's my grand idea:

Artists could use blog software to post up a daily web-comic.

Ok. So, it's not so grand. Most ideas are merely an integration of existing ideas anyway. Bill Gates is a fabulously wealthy individual because of this.

The reason I think it is a pretty good idea is that the blog software provides much of the infrastructure for publishing, hosting and archiving of the material. Images can be posted very easily. Good blog software provides a way to publish to a particular server if one would want to control the hosting environment.

A few friends of mine have attempted to do this. They usually quit after a while due to complexity (ok, perhaps also due to artistic flame-out). Perhaps removing some of the technically hurdles would make it easier to get started.

I did some searching for this and, as far as I can tell, no one is doing this. People write about comics (rather like I write about writing), but no one uses blogging as a medium for comics themselves. As with serial fiction, it could be a place to use some very interesting comic formats.

No comments: