Friday, April 15, 2005

My PR Guy

Cover letters are that PR guy for the resume. They come in, make up some snappy phrases about one's abilities, gloss over the failures (or spin them to some effect), and general try to make something incredible mediocre seem incredible.

I know. I'm friends with that PR guy. He's really good at what he does. Unfortunately, I have to do the cover letter writing.

I'm no PR guy. Notice my profile.

I do, however, have a book. It's one of those books with a bunch of cookie-cutter cover letters. I know that I'm supposed to concentrating on improving my writing, but I do need to be serious about the cover letter. I don't want to come off as an ass or a nut job.

Imagine my writing a cover letter like I'm writing this particular post, in a more stream of consciousness style with a brevity of editing.

Dear So-and-so,

I've had a lot of experience in my field. The sort of experience that makes me a great potential employee.

I've excellent communication skills. Just take a look at my blog. I mean, really, if you'd look at the writing there, I should be shoe in. It's amazing how well I can get my point across.

I look forward to hearing from you, when and if you ever pull this out of your legally-required resume archive.

Mostly Sincerely,

Schpatz

That might not go over so well.

No comments: