Saturday, December 02, 2006

A Return to Essays

For a year now, I've been only writing on my travel blog. Things have returned to the Ordinary, so I plan to return to writing essays on random topics of my interest. Most of my thinking in the past few months has leaned towards the philosophical. I've been reading a lot of Wikipedia entries on various philosophers and theirs ideas in an effort to introduce myself to the field.

I've haven't really done a whole lot of reading on the subject, in terms of the philosophers' works themselves. Wikipedia has been a great tool for giving me a reading list. I would like to start with at least on enlightenment philosopher, Immanuel Kant, and then move into more modern philosophical ideas, including Pragmatists, Logical Positivists, and perhaps some Nietzsche and other Existentialists.

All of this is in an effort to start defining a personal philosophy. I've always had a set of loose ideas under which I operate, but perhaps it's time to start formalisation. This is sort of exercise should, perhaps, be done every decade or so. I'm closing in on my thirtieth birthday, and so I think it is time to reevaluate my values.

Essays may lean much more philosophically as this exploration and formalisation proceeds. Or, as usual, I may just be full of crap.

We'll see.

No comments: